Let me tell you a story. Our story.
We are a group of children’s writers who love middle-grade books. One day, not too long ago, we realized that we wanted the world to love them as much as we do. And so we decided to do something about it.
Today we begin our journey to share middle-grade books with the world. Welcome to From the Mixed-Up Files…of Middle-Grade Authors. Named in honor of the iconic middle-grade book by E. L. Konigsburg, this group blog and website is dedicated to bringing attention to middle-grade books and the people who write them. And we hope to have a little fun along the way, too. (For the truly curious, you can read more about us on our About Us page. You can also view our Contributing Member Bios. )
Our plans include:
- Interviews with middle-grade authors.
- More interviews with middle-grade readers. We’ll show you what kids really think about the books they read and the world around them.
- Even more interviews with teachers, librarians, booksellers and other industry professionals.
- Unique book lists in all shapes and sizes (and we promise they’ll be ones you can’t find anywhere else).
- Blog topics about all things middle-grade, geared for our varied readership (which includes readers young and old, parents, teachers, librarians, and writers and other industry professionals). We plan to blog every Monday, Wednesday and Friday, with extra posts on other days as well.
- Guest posts by people who love middle-grade books as much as we do.
- A monthly feature that highlights new middle-grade books coming out.
- Web pages for parents, teachers and librarians, and writers. Each page will be overflowing with information, including original content by our members and links to other resources.
- Our cleverly-titled “OhMG! Middle-Grade News” sidebar feature, dedicated to middle-grade current events.
- A compilation of quotes about what middle-grade is by some of the most well-beloved middle-grade authors still with us. (And, yes, these are quotes you won’t find anywhere else. We have tracked down each author and asked them to share their thoughts with us. We’d like to publicly thank them for their generosity.) We hope to add new quotes as our site grows.
- The occasional vlog post or video to help explain middle-grade concepts or to entertain our readers (or both).
- Exciting middle-grade trivia, great contests, and awesome giveaways.
We encourage you to get involved as well. We know our readers will have more to share about middle-grade books than we could ever do by ourselves, so please add to the conversation via the comment section at the end of each blog post or at the bottom of our web pages. We do ask that you keep your comments clean and be respectful of others, especially since we want teachers and librarians to share this resource with the children they serve. So if your comments aren’t appropriate for children, they aren’t appropriate here either. (Thank you!)
In addition, for those who wish for more involvement, occasionally we may have openings in our membership. Please see our membership guidelines and any openings here.
To get this blog started, we’d like to thank you for joining us by giving away what we love the best: books! In fact, every few weeks throughout the summer we will give away middle-grade books or advance reader copies (ARCs), all of them signed by the authors who wrote them. And our first giveaway is a big one! We will choose one lucky blog reader to receive the following NINE middle-grade titles:
The winner of our first giveaway will be chosen on Tuesday, June 22nd, 2010.
Thank you for joining us here at From the Mixed-Up Files…of Middle-Grade Authors. We hope you’ll enjoy rummaging through our files. And we hope you’ll love it here enough to recommend our site to others. We really are excited to share our love of middle-grade books with the rest of the world.
Let the middle-grade fun begin!
— — — — —
Elissa Cruz is the founder of From the Mixed-Up Files, though she only takes credit for coming up with the idea of a group blog with other middle-grade writers like herself. She and her mixed-up cohorts welcome any comments or suggestions about this site. She also invites you to join her on her writing blog, where she gives away plenty of advice and encouragement: www.elissacruz.blogspot.com.